The overall objective of the programme is to produce sufficiently trained persons who will put ethnobotany on a sound scientific base for sustainable use and management of plant resources for posterity. The specific objectives of the programme are:
1. To advance and diffuse indigenous knowledge of plants for conservation of our national heritage.
2. To establish a cadre of well-trained personnel that will make greater contributions to the utilisation and conservation of plant genetic resources.
3. To enhance awareness of the role played by ethnobotany in the economic, cultural, social, recreational and health of the majority of the people in developing countries.
4. To develop ethnobotany in Uganda as a multidisciplinary subject.
5. To promote appreciation of the extreme richness and value of Uganda’s indigenous flora.
6. To create awareness of the legal implications regarding exploitation of natural resources.